Another major gold haul at airport
Published: 2013-08-30 11:38:41.0 BdST Updated: 2013-08-30 12:51:23.0 BdST
The customs authority has recovered 156 gold bars weighing nearly 18 kg at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka in yet another major gold haul in the airport.
Senior ASP of the Armed Police Battalion (APBN) Iqbal Hossain told bdnews24.com the gold bars were found on the bus which was carrying the passengers of United Airway’s Mascot-Dubai-Dhaka flight on Friday morning.
“Passengers of the bus were brought to the terminal. The gold bars were found in black sports bag lying beside the driver,” he said.
He said they were suspecting the driver of the United Airways bus.
With this, customs authority has seized three illegal gold consignments at the airport within a span of two months. Two more consignments were caught by the Chittagong customs too during the same period.
On Aug 20, APBN recovered more than 7-kg gold from an Indian citizen at the same airport.
A staggering 1,065 gold bars weighing 124-kg were confiscated by police from a Biman Bangladesh Airlines from Kathmandu on Jull 24.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Three die, several injured as elevator falls causing wall collapse, fire in Uttara
- UK PM Cameron says he will step down by October after Brexit vote
- Britain votes to leave EU in historic divorce
- New train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ to start operating on Dhaka-Chittagong route from Saturday
- Brexit referendum outcome big challenge to UK’s economic, political future: Tulip Siddiq
- High-rise catches fire in Uttara, several injured
- Grameenphone call-drops alarming, says Chittagong SP
- Mayor Sadiq Khan urged to declare London independent from Britain, join EU: Media
- BNP chief Khaleda blames PM Hasina for 'teacher assailant' Fahim's death
- Life is all about enjoying work, says Professor Serajul Islam Choudhury