Congressman Levin in town
Published: 2013-08-20 01:15:37.0 BdST Updated: 2013-08-20 01:25:22.0 BdST
US Congressman Sander Levin arrived in Dhaka on Monday on a three-day visit.
According to the House Ways and Means Committee website, his visit follows the suspension of generalised system of preferences (GSP) trade benefits for Bangladesh in US market “because of its failure to meet labor eligibility criteria”.
He is a Ranking Member of the House Ways and Means Committee that has jurisdiction over all tax, trade and economic growth policies and entitlement spending, including social security, medicare, welfare and unemployment compensation.
Levin has applauded the Obama administration’s decision of GSP decision in June and urged Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in a letter with House Democratic leaders to join in “a comprehensive, concrete and coordinated plan to ensure worker safety and secure workers’ rights in Bangladesh”.
He also called upon nine separate US retailers following worst-ever Savar building collapse to join a global coalition supporting a May 12 Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh, developed by the Worker Rights Consortium and a number of key stakeholders.
During the visit, Levin is expected to visit multiple garment factories, meet with factory workers and business leaders as well as high-ranking government officials and non-governmental organisation officials.
According to Foreign Minister Dipu Moni’s schedule, she will meet Levin on Tuesday noon.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur out of IPL's second qualifier with injury
- Danish Ambassador calls to save 200-yr old dying Bangladeshi tradition
- Sexagenarian Railways Minister Mazibul Hoque becomes father of a baby girl
- Mustafizur's Hyderabad see off Bangalore fightback in thrilling final to claim first IPL title
- Ronaldo gives Real Madrid shootout win over Atletico
- Sajeeb Wazed Joy trashes media report about his meeting with Israeli politician Mendi N Safadi
- Microsoft Bangladesh chief Sonia Bashir Kabir to serve in UN Technology Bank
- Mustafizur returns for Hyderabad in IPL final against Bangalore
- Target killings are handiwork of BNP, aim to raise question about Bangladesh, says Hasina
- Japan PM Abe assures Bangladesh of help to achieve middle-income country status