Shahidul Haque new Foreign Secretary
Published: 2013-07-19 18:37:35.0 BdST Updated: 2013-07-19 19:43:27.0 BdST
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, his promotion to the rank of Secretary took effect from Thursday, July 18.
Haque was given the interim responsibility in January after Secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes moved out of the ministry to take over as High Commissioner in London.
He returned to the ministry as a Director General in August last year after being on lien for 11 years. He was later promoted to Additional Secretary.
During his extra-ordinary leave since 2001, Haque worked at the Geneva-based International Organisation for Migration.
A graduate in Social Welfare from the Dhaka University, Haque got a Master's degree in International Relations from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.
Haque has never represented Bangladesh as an ambassador or in a senior diplomatic rank, making him only the second such career foreign service officer ever after Touhid Hossain, whose most senior diplomatic post was Deputy High Commissioner, to be given the office of the Foreign Secretary.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur named Emerging Player of IPL 2016
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Probe body hints at involvement of insiders in Bangladesh Bank heist
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Pakistan must target all jihadist groups: Crisis Group
- Mustafizur's Hyderabad see off Bangalore fightback in thrilling final to claim first IPL title