Student dives to death
Dhaka University Correspondent,
Published: 2013-06-19 08:22:45.0 BdST Updated: 2013-06-19 08:23:04.0 BdST
A private varsity student dived to his death at the Dhaka University swimming pool on Wednesday.
His chest is said to have hit the water on impact reportedly causing internal injuries due to a faulty dive.
Fahim Shahriar Chowdhury, 20, was a Electrical and Electronics Engineering third semester student of Amerian International University, Bangladesh (AIUB).
He was son of Mohammad Jalaluddin Chowdhury, an official of the Power Development Board (PDB).
“He dived, but could not keep balance and his chest hit the water on impact. Blood oozed out of his mouth immediately,” Shahjahan said.
He was rushed to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital in critical condition where doctors declared him dead around 12:30am.
Shahbagh Police Station Inspector MA Jalil said doctors feel Fahim’s lungs might have been hurt on impact. “That is why blood came out of his mouth.”
The body was kept at the hospital and will be handed over to family if no complaints are filed, he said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- CHTC demands judicial probe into Romel's death in letter to home minister
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- PM Hasina asks BNP for evidence of Haor radiation claim
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece