Bombs blast at Shahbagh
Published: 2013-06-10 07:42:56.0 BdST Updated: 2013-06-10 07:44:47.0 BdST
Two homemade bombs exploded near the National Museum in Shahbagh shortly after a procession of Ganajagaran Mancha passed through the area on Monday opposing the Jamaat strike.
The explosions hit the island opposite National Museum around 12:45pm, but no one was hurt, bdnews24.com Dhaka University Correspondent reported.
Shahbagh Police Station Officer in-Charge Sirajul Islam confirmed the blasts and said, “We are trying to find who did this.”
One witness said two bike-riding youths coming in from TSC made the blasts and drove away.
Police vigil in the area was intensified after the blasts. They were seen frisking motorcycles and CNG-driven auto-rickshaws in the area.
The Jamaat’s strike was called on Sunday protesting contempt verdict against three party leaders by ICT.
Ganajagaran Mancha, which is seeking a ban on the Jamaat-Shibir combine, had taken out the Monday-procession to protest the strike.
At a short rally at Central Shaheed Minar premises, its spokesperson Imran H Sarker reiterated the Mancha’s demand for a ban on Jamaat. “Only a ban can restrict it. The party need to be banned as put forward in the six-point demand of Ganajagaran Mancha,” he insisted.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Body of the Burhiganga boat capsize victim found after three days
- EC to hold union council polls in former enclaves on Oct 31
- Support LDCs to implement SDGs, Bangladesh urges development partners
- Parliament condoles MN Larma 33 years after his death
- Reagan sent for six-day remand in Gulshan cafe attack case
- Dhaka jailer gets death threat via SMS
- Bangladesh cautions 29 airlines on using Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smart phones on board
- British Council offices in Bangladesh to reopen Monday
- Dhaka to respond to UNESCO’s concern over Rampal power plant within a week
- Husband, two others get death sentences for Rajshahi housewife's murder
- Sloppy Bangladesh sneak 7-run last-over win over brave Afghanistan
- Bangladesh captain Mashrafe eyes attacking cricket against Afghanistan
- Bangladesh-origin man arrested in New York sex racket
- Man from Delhi comes to Jessore to meet Facebook friend, both arrested
- Police find no evidence against Comilla BCL leader murder suspect Imran
- Barcelona close gap as Real draw at Las Palmas
- Bangladesh national killed in BSF firing at Kurhigram
- Coach Hathurusingha urges Bangladesh to win all matches against Afghanistan
- Baby cries out while being buried, airlifted to Dhaka for intensive care
- Canada not expelling Noor Chowdhury, law minister says