Legalise gas link by June 20: Petrobangla
Published: 2013-05-28 08:26:02.0 BdST Updated: 2013-05-28 16:42:13.0 BdST
Petrobangla has set June 20 as the deadline for those with some 150,000 illegal household gas connections to regularise them.
Monsur has recently alleged that the government lost revenue to the tune of atleast TK 1.8 million ($ 30,000) everyday due to the illegal gas conections across the country.
A Petrobangla survey recently on the illegal gas connections found around 9 million cubic feet a day (mmcfd) was pilfered by these illegal household connections.
Petrobangla identified nearly 1,18,000 domestic connections that had been given out in the Titas gas distribution and transmission area in violation of the decision of the authority in the last two-and-a-half years.
The Titas authorities collected Tk. 2.0 billion as bills from 57,414 illegal connections, Petrobangla has alleged.
It was also found that about 60,000 consumers did not pay any money for their consumption of gas.
Petrobangla estimates that around 31.47 mmcf gas is needed to meet the demand of residential consumers , of which nearly one-third is consumed illegally.
This blatant pilferage did not invite any penal action so far and no staff of the gas marketing and distribution companies were pulled up for the obvious illegal actions.
Only Human Rights and Peace for Bangladesh, a law firm, filed a writ petition in November 2012 in the High Court (HC), seeking an embargo on such illegal connections.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India ‘watching’ Chinese defence minister's Dhaka visit closely
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- Assailants hack Gaibandha man to death inside his shop
- Narayanganj 7-murder prime accused Nur Hossain feels dizzy, collapses in the dock during hearing
- UK ‘disagrees’ with Bangladesh government’s explanation on recent killings
- Head of forensic team that conducted autopsy on murdered Comilla student Tonu gets ‘death threat’
- May 22’s HSC, equivalent tests pushed back again to Jun 12 due to UP polls
- Punjab assembly recommends Pakistan’s highest honour for war criminal Nizami
- Former Sonali Bank branch AGM, two jailed for life in Tk 36bn loan scam
- Dubai opens world's first functioning 3D-printed office