Hasina’s ‘home coming’ day observed
Published: 2013-05-17 07:01:20.0 BdST Updated: 2013-05-17 07:02:00.0 BdST
Ruling Awami League and its affiliates are observing Sheikh Hasina’s ‘home coming day’ on Friday.
Central party leaders, led by Presidium Member Mohammad Nasim, placed wreaths at the memorial of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at Dhanmondi 32 in Dhaka.
They are expected to exchange greetings with Sheikh Hasina at Ganabhaban in the evening.
Sheikh Hasina was abroad with her husband when her father Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was killed, along with his family members, on Aug 15, 1975.
She could not return at that time because the government in power did not allow her permission.
Hasina returned from India on May 17, 1981.
Later, at the national council of the Awami League in Feb 14-16 in 1981, Sheikh Hasina was made the party chief.
Her return in 1981 saw scores of people crowding at the stretch of road from Tejgaon Airport to Manik Mia Avenue amidst a drizzle.
On that day, Hasina had said, “I have come among you all having nothing to lose …. I want to dedicate my life for the country and follow the path showed by the Father of the Nation.”
Awami League General Secretary Syed Ashraful Islam called upon all to grace the day with due solemnities.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Shawon, sued by Mahiya Mahi, claims he and the actress are still married
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Hasina wishes Mustafizur on IPL success but worries about too much exposure
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Court orders death for six, life imprisonment for another in 2015 Ashulia bank heist
- Mustafizur’s English county debut at Sussex may be delayed due to injuries