Hasina’s ‘home coming’ day observed
Published: 2013-05-17 07:01:20.0 BdST Updated: 2013-05-17 07:02:00.0 BdST
Ruling Awami League and its affiliates are observing Sheikh Hasina’s ‘home coming day’ on Friday.
Central party leaders, led by Presidium Member Mohammad Nasim, placed wreaths at the memorial of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at Dhanmondi 32 in Dhaka.
They are expected to exchange greetings with Sheikh Hasina at Ganabhaban in the evening.
Sheikh Hasina was abroad with her husband when her father Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was killed, along with his family members, on Aug 15, 1975.
She could not return at that time because the government in power did not allow her permission.
Hasina returned from India on May 17, 1981.
Later, at the national council of the Awami League in Feb 14-16 in 1981, Sheikh Hasina was made the party chief.
Her return in 1981 saw scores of people crowding at the stretch of road from Tejgaon Airport to Manik Mia Avenue amidst a drizzle.
On that day, Hasina had said, “I have come among you all having nothing to lose …. I want to dedicate my life for the country and follow the path showed by the Father of the Nation.”
Awami League General Secretary Syed Ashraful Islam called upon all to grace the day with due solemnities.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Cabinet mourns demise of music legend Lucky Akhand
- Two get life terms for rape and drug peddling in Chapai Nawabganj
- Bangladesh man dies when ‘shot' by Indian BSF
- Authorities issue warning for water transport amid bad weather condition
- Two ‘JMB militants’ arrested in Dinajpur
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- BNP designate 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country