Another engineer arrested over Savar collapse
Published: 2013-05-02 16:21:28.0 BdST Updated: 2013-05-02 16:37:09.0 BdST
Detectives have arrested an engineer who supervised the construction work of Savar’s Rana Plaza, which collapsed on Apr 24 and have killed over 430 people so far.
Abdur Razzak was detained at around Thursday noon from Savar’s Shimulia.
Three engineers so far have been detained over the worst-ever industrial disaster in Bangladesh's history. The other two are - Executive Engineer of Savar Municipality Md Imtemam Hossain and Assistant Engineer Md Alam Mia.
Detective Branch of Police Inspector Shaheen Shah Parvez told bdnews24.com: "Engineer Razzak was responsible for supervising the design and construction of Rana Plaza."
"Razzak was also supervising the construction of the 10th floor of it before the nine-storey building collapsed," he said.
The police official, who is also the investigating officer of the cases filed over the building's collapse, said they were hoping to tease out vital information from Razzak.
The rescue operation amidst the rubble of the nine-storey commercial block is still going on. At least 436 people were killed, most of who were readymade garment workers in the five factories in that building.
A day before the collapse, after cracks surfaced in the building Engineer Abdur Razzak had told bdnews24.com: "It is necessary to have the safety of the building evaluate by experts from BUET. Otherwise, major accident might take place."
There are allegations that the construction of multi-storey commercial building built over filled-up wetlands was faulty.
Police have already arrested the building owner, Mohammad Sohel Rana, and the four owners of five garment factories.
Rana's father Abdul Khalek and three associates of Rana were also arrested for involvement.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Shawon, sued by Mahiya Mahi, claims he and the actress are still married
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Hasina wishes Mustafizur on IPL success but worries about too much exposure
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Mustafizur’s English county debut at Sussex may be delayed due to injuries
- Court orders death for six, life imprisonment for another in 2015 Ashulia bank heist