PM announces special cell for legal assistance
Published: 2013-04-28 07:33:05.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-28 09:23:26.0 BdST
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has said the government will set up special cells to ensure justice for the workers to provide legal assistance to workers alongside the district legal aid offices.
“We will ensure that the workers get justice,” she said while addressing a programme marking the National Legal Aid Day on Sunday in Dhaka.
She has said the government would set up Legal Aid Office at all the districts to provide assistance to those unable to afford legal help. Hasina has said there are plans to extend authorities of these offices.
The Prime Minister expressed the government’s intent to use these offices as alternative centres for resolving local problems of the people.
She said the government had been providing legal aid to those who are unable to afford it. Hasina said around 48,500 persons had been given legal aid over the past four years and 19,010 cases had been solved under the government’s legal aid programme.
Hasina called upon all to stay away from violence now. “This is not the time. Now everyone has to stand beside one another.”
After scores of bodies were recovered from Savar’s collapsed Rana Plaza, workers went on a rampage smashing vehicles and staging protests on the streets of the capital and several other areas over the last few days.
The nine-storied building which collapsed, resulting in the death of over 350 people, was owned by Juba League’s local unit Senior Joint Convenor Sohel Rana.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Shawon, sued by Mahiya Mahi, claims he and the actress are still married
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Hasina wishes Mustafizur on IPL success but worries about too much exposure
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Court orders death for six, life imprisonment for another in 2015 Ashulia bank heist
- Mustafizur’s English county debut at Sussex may be delayed due to injuries