Bomb blast kills 2 children in Dhaka
Published: 2013-03-24 14:12:31.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-25 11:16:57.0 BdST
Two children in died while playing on Sunday after a handmade bomb went off at the capital’s Mirpur-13.
Police suspect the bomb exploded as they were playing with it after bumping into it in the street in front of their house in the afternoon.
The children were identified as Kulsum Akter, 8, and her sister's daughter ‘Riya’, 4.
They were taken to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital with critical injuries and died in the space of half an hour.
Riya's mother Heera Begum told reporters at the hospital that the explosion had taken place ataround 3:30pm near the power office in the area.
She said, “They were playing in front of our house. I rushed there on hearing a loud blast and found them on the road with blood all over them.”
Kafrul Police Station Officer-in-Charge Qazi Wazed Ali told bdnews24.com that the bomb was powerful.
But police could not say how the bomb detonated.
Meanwhile, a woman died on Sunday noon after falling from a building’s fourth floor at Mirpur’s Paikpara area.
Tohura Begum, 55, was declared dead by the doctors at DMCH after her husband Zahurul Haque took her there with severe injuries.
Haque told reporters that Tohura fell down from the building’s fourth floor through an elevator shaft. “The elevator has a collapsible gate. She fell as she opened the gate and stepped inside thinking the elevator was there.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- ‘Begum’ Editor Nurjahan Begum passes away at 91
- Bangladesh child aged 4 appears ancient with swollen face, sagging skin
- First female VC of BUET Khaleda Ekram passes away
- Bangladesh looking for new bowling coach to replace Streak
- Salim Osman’s shaming Narayanganj teacher has embarrassed Jatiya Party: GM Quader
- ‘Biometrically registered Robi SIMs’ used in fraud, money stolen from bKash accounts: Chittagong police
- Former Bangladesh Bank governor Farashuddin suggests solution to end VAT stalemate
- Dhaka court jail a den of harassment for women inmates for lack of separate cell
- BNP leader Gayeshwar fears arrest of top politicians as in 2007-’08