Kader Siddiqui sued for libel
Published: 2013-02-20 11:50:10.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-20 11:51:14.0 BdST
A defamation lawsuit was filed with a court in Chittagong on Wednesday against Kader Siddiqui for calling Home Minister Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir a ‘Razakar’.
Abu Taher, Secretary General of Combined Liberation War Fair Organising Council, pressed the charge with the court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Hasanul Islam.
Taher’s counsel Tapan Das said the court accepted the case and fixed Mar 28 for hearing.
The magistrate also asked Assistant Commissioner of Kotwali Police Station to submit a report after investigating the case.
Krishak Sramik Janata League chief Kader Siddiqui speaks at a meeting at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity auditorium on Friday. Photo: asaduzzaman pramanik/ bdnews24.com/ Dhaka, Dec 23, 2011
According to the complaints, Kader Siddiqui on Feb 9 called the Home Minister a ‘Razakar’ at a council of Krishak Sramik Janata League in Dhaka’s Institution of Engineers. Siddiqui heads the party.
The complainant said he read the news in the daily Azadi in Chittagong the next day.
Taher told bdnews24.com that confusion could be created if a man like Kader Siddiqui had branded the Home Minister a collaborator of the Pakistani occupation forces in the nation’s War of Independence in 1971.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Anger, doubts boil up as gas prices raised in Bangladesh
- Jaishankar reaffirms India’s support to 'peaceful, stable' Bangladesh
- Kabori’s memoirs at Ekushey Book Fair
- PM Hasina's official visit to India in April
- Another suspect arrested over Gaibandha ruling MP Liton's killing
- Verdict in second case against industrialist Ragib Ali over tea estate fraud on Feb 26
- Cricketer Sunny's mother gets bail in domestic violence case
- Indian Foreign Secretary Jaishankar arrives in Dhaka
- Foreign Journalists call on State Minister for Foreign Affairs
- MP Liton killing: Police recover pistol buried in Kader's Gaibandha home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- BNP is a terrorist organisation: Canada court
- Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life may be possible
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Big fashion brands pull out of Bangladesh garment summit over worker rights concerns
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Gas prices bubble up: Bangladesh households hit with over 50% monthly rise for stoves
- Foreign sailor killed by cracked pipe hot water in ship at Chittagong Port
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Forced relocation of Myanmar nationals in Bangladesh can create tension: ICRC