Kader Siddiqui sued for libel
Published: 2013-02-20 11:50:10.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-20 11:51:14.0 BdST
A defamation lawsuit was filed with a court in Chittagong on Wednesday against Kader Siddiqui for calling Home Minister Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir a ‘Razakar’.
Abu Taher, Secretary General of Combined Liberation War Fair Organising Council, pressed the charge with the court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Hasanul Islam.
Taher’s counsel Tapan Das said the court accepted the case and fixed Mar 28 for hearing.
The magistrate also asked Assistant Commissioner of Kotwali Police Station to submit a report after investigating the case.
Krishak Sramik Janata League chief Kader Siddiqui speaks at a meeting at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity auditorium on Friday. Photo: asaduzzaman pramanik/ bdnews24.com/ Dhaka, Dec 23, 2011
According to the complaints, Kader Siddiqui on Feb 9 called the Home Minister a ‘Razakar’ at a council of Krishak Sramik Janata League in Dhaka’s Institution of Engineers. Siddiqui heads the party.
The complainant said he read the news in the daily Azadi in Chittagong the next day.
Taher told bdnews24.com that confusion could be created if a man like Kader Siddiqui had branded the Home Minister a collaborator of the Pakistani occupation forces in the nation’s War of Independence in 1971.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh to become free from tobacco before 2040, Home Minister Kamal believes
- Syed Ashraf says Chinese President Xi Jinping to tour Bangladesh 'soon'
- Students protest rise in number of creative questions in SSC, HSC
- Customs seize 370 kg Pakistani cosmetics at Dhaka airport, six held
- Two workers die while cleaning septic tank in Bhola
- Rescuers recover car from riverbed in Munshiganj, search on for driver
- PM to brief media Sunday on her trip to US, Canada
- Four employees of unauthorised TV channels arrested in Dhaka, police say
- Murder suspect killed in Lakshmipur 'shootout', claim police
- Juba League leader detained with gun at PM’s reception released
- Tamim stars as Bangladesh crush Afghanistan for 100th ODI win
- 'Red alert' across India, intelligence anticipates terror attack
- Juba League leader detained with gun at 'public reception' of PM Hasina
- Skipper Mashrafe says Afghanistan defeat has not dented Bangladesh confidence
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon offers to mediate between India, Pakistan
- Traffic jams on Dhaka streets as PM Hasina's supporters gather to welcome her
- Bangladesh war crimes suspect dies at Dhaka hospital
- 'Unusual' rice price spike in Dhaka markets stings buyers
- Hasina returns after UN General Assembly in US, Global Fund meet in Canada
- Tamim eclipses Shakib to become highest ODI centurion for Bangladesh