'Massive' Shibir attack on JU
Jahangirnagar University Correspondent,
Published: 2013-02-12 16:59:56.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-13 18:38:08.0 BdST
The Jahangirnagar University Vice-Chancellor’s residence came under a massive attack with several buildings and vehicles vandalised on the campus Tuesday night by Islami Chhatra Shibir activists.
Supporters of Jamaat-e-Islami’s student front carried out the attacks, Vice-Chancellor Prof Anwar Hossain said.
Hours after a student of the university died, the two-hour-long mayhem began at around 8pm. Teachers and students also said many unknown people were seen there at the time.
Supporters of Jamaat-e-Islami’s student front carried out the attacks, Vice-Chancellor Prof M Anwar Hossain said.
Some 20 minutes later, he called again to say: “Shouting Allahu Akbar, Shibir activists have attacked my residence. They have stormed into the kitchen. My family is hapless.”
The VC was on his way back from a function at Government Edward College in Pabna. He said he also called an emergency meeting of the Syndicate.
The meeting is supposed to sit right away after the VC arrives.
Meanwhile, Proctor Sohel Ahmed told bdnews24.com: “At least five vehicles including one at the Vice-Chancellor’s house was vandalised.”
The vandalism took place after statistics student Abdul Malek, resident of the university’s Maulana Bhasani Hall, died earlier in the evening.
At first, he was admitted at the university medical centre with heart disease. But it took a while to send him to a hospital as there were no duty doctors and ambulance.
Duty doctors at Enam Medical College Hospital at Savar declared him dead when he was taken there.
Malek, son of Momtaj Uddin, was from Mirpur at Gabtoli upazila in Bogra.
The residence of the Maulana Bhasani Hall’s Provost and the university medical centre was vandalised around 9pm after the news of his death was out.
The VC’s residence came under assault following attacks and vandalisms on residences of several other teachers.
Eyewitnesses, mainly teachers and students, said many unknown people were seen during the attack at the VC’s residence.
Later, vandalism also took place at the university’s main gate.
A Waz or Islamic lecture was also going on at Islamnagar area adjacent to the campus.
Bangladesh Chhatra League’s JU unit President Mahmudur Rahman Jony told bdnews24.com: “Shibir activists may have come from that Waz.”
Proctor Sohel Ahmed said, “I heard Shibir activists came to the campus and they also chanted slogans.”
Heavy police deployment has been made.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur named Emerging Player of IPL 2016
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Probe body hints at involvement of insiders in Bangladesh Bank heist
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Pakistan must target all jihadist groups: Crisis Group
- Mustafizur's Hyderabad see off Bangalore fightback in thrilling final to claim first IPL title