Separate pay scales for BB, SoBs 'soon'
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2010-01-10 13:51:57.0 BdST Updated: 2010-01-10 13:51:57.0 BdST
The government will soon announce two separate pay scales for employees of the central bank and those of state-owned banks, the finance minister announced on Sunday.
"We earlier declared new pay scale for public servants. But we think the central and state-owned banks need separate pay scales," A M A Muhith told reporters after a meeting with Bangladesh Bank governor Atiur Rahman and chairmen of state-owned banks.
While one pay scale is meant for the Bangladesh Bank, there will be another one for state-owned Sonali Bank, Janata Bank and Agrani Bank.
"These new pay scales are needed for the state-owned banks to keep them competitive with the private commercial banks," Muhith explained.
The minister would not give a date for announcement of the pay scales but said they would be announced 'shortly'.
The four banks have been asked to prepare their own proposals of pay scales. The banks' boards of directors are expected to submit them to the finance ministry, he said.
The ministry would then form a committee to evaluate them and draw up two tentative wage structures, according to Muhith.
He also hinted that establishing the Expatriate Welfare Bank remains under the government's consideration, which is likely to be a specialised bank.
Five specialised state-owned banks, namely Bangladesh Krishi Bank, Rajshahi Krishi Unnayan Bank, Basic Bank, Bangladesh Development Bank and Employment Bank, are in operation.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India ‘watching’ Chinese defence minister's Dhaka visit closely
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- Assailants hack Gaibandha man to death inside his shop
- Narayanganj 7-murder prime accused Nur Hossain feels dizzy, collapses in the dock during hearing
- UK ‘disagrees’ with Bangladesh government’s explanation on recent killings
- Head of forensic team that conducted autopsy on murdered Comilla student Tonu gets ‘death threat’
- May 22’s HSC, equivalent tests pushed back again to Jun 12 due to UP polls
- Punjab assembly recommends Pakistan’s highest honour for war criminal Nizami
- Former Sonali Bank branch AGM, two jailed for life in Tk 36bn loan scam
- Dubai opens world's first functioning 3D-printed office