Volkswagen picks company veteran to tackle emissions crisis
Published: 2015-09-26 03:23:54.0 BdST Updated: 2015-09-26 03:34:34.0 BdST
Volkswagen named company veteran Matthias Mueller as its chief executive on Friday as the German carmaker struggles to get to grips with a crisis over rigged diesel emission tests that its chairman called "a moral and political disaster".
After a marathon board meeting at its headquarters in Wolfsburg, the world's biggest automaker said Mueller, the 62-year-old head of its Porsche sports car division, would replace Martin Winterkorn, who resigned as CEO on Wednesday.
As Mueller took the helm, however, Germany's transport minister announced the carmaker had manipulated test results for about 2.8 million vehicles in the country, nearly six times as many as it has admitted to falsifying in the United States, pointing to cheating on a bigger scale than previously thought.
Volkswagen, for generations a model of German engineering prowess, is under huge pressure to take decisive action over the biggest business-related scandal in its 78-year history.
"Under my leadership, Volkswagen will do all it can to develop and implement the strictest compliance and governance standards in the whole industry," Mueller said in a statement.
The company said it would appoint a US law firm to conduct a full investigation, suspend an unspecified number of staff and adopt a more decentralised structure with a slimmed down management board.
But the scandal keeps growing. German transport minister Alexander Dobrindt said on Thursday Volkswagen had also cheated tests in Europe, where its sales are much higher than in the United States.
On Friday, Dobrindt put the number of affected vehicles in Germany at 2.8 million.
Regulators and prosecutors across the world are investigating the scandal, while customers and investors are launching lawsuits.
The wider car market has been rocked too, with manufacturers fearing a drop in sales of diesel cars and tougher testing.
Regulators in Europe and the United States said on Friday they would take a harder line on enforcing compliance with pollution standards and would be less tolerant of gaps between real world emissions and laboratory results.
New Volkswagen CEO Matthias Mueller addresses a news conference at Volkswagen's headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany September 25, 2015. Reuters
Customers and motor dealers are furious that Volkswagen has yet to say which models and construction years are affected, and whether it will have to recall any cars for refits.
The right man?
The task facing Mueller is enormous, with the latest issue of influential German weekly Der Spiegel showing pall-bearers carrying a Volkswagen car decked out as a coffin under the headline "The Suicide".
"His appointment is a step towards cleaning-up," said LBBW analyst Frank Biller about Mueller, a former head of product strategy close to the Piech-Porsche family that controls Volkswagen.
But Henning Gebhardt, global head of equity at Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management, said Volkswagen had missed an opportunity.
"He won't be able to lead the company for 10 years due to his age alone. That means there will be discussions about succession in the foreseeable future again," he said.
Bernstein analyst Max Warburton also questioned whether a man who has spent more than three decades at the company was the right man to signal a break with the past.
He urged "big and bold action", saying the new CEO should offer to buy back and scrap almost 500,000 diesel cars sold in the United States, which would cost about $6 billion.
Volkswagen said sales chief Christian Klingler would leave the company, but that US head Michael Horn -- also widely tipped to go -- would stay.
Acting Chairman Berthold Huber apologized to "our customers, the public, authorities and investors" and asked them to give Volkswagen a chance to make good on the damage from the emissions scandal.
"I want to be very clear, the manipulation of tests for diesel engines is a moral and political disaster," Huber said.
Volkswagen will hold an extraordinary shareholder meeting on Nov 9 in Berlin to approve its proposed changes.
Frank Schellenberg, a taxi driver in Wolfsburg where the carmaker employs around 70,000 people, said locals felt betrayed and feared the worst.
"They have lost any contact with the real world, the customers who have been buying their cars in good faith," he said, pointing to the firm's 13-storey administrative building. "Everyone in Wolfsburg is expecting tough times and job cuts."
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Geneva Auto Show
- Volkswagen pleads guilty in US court in diesel emissions scandal
- Self-driving Nissan car takes to Europe's streets for first time
- Peugeot buys iconic Indian car brand for $12m
- US judge approves VW dealers $1.2 billion settlement
- Trump threatens German carmakers with 35 percent US import tariff
- The hot and new at Detroit Auto Show
- Automakers, suppliers team up to share costs of self-driving cars
- Chided by Trump, Ford scraps Mexico factory, adds Michigan jobs
- BMW November sales up 5.9 percent, Mercedes poised to overtake
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Police put on alert across country
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- RAB intelligence chief injured in Sylhet blasts airlifted to Dhaka
- RAB Intelligence chief being taken to Singapore for treatment